Bringing Mindfulness Back
Click on the picture below to hear my take on how I bring mindfulness back to my life.
In my previous blog “Controlling My Anxiety”, both my wife and I explained that if I am to take control of my anxiety before I speak at one of my talks, I need to understand the triggers.
Equally important, I have found it imperative that I also look after myself following my talks by taking time out to unwind and more importantly, bringing mindfulness back into my life.
So, what does a normal post-talk process look like for me?
- Upon leaving the venue, I will find somewhere close by and meditate for 10 minutes to once again clear my mind.
- I shall make time to grab a coffee with my wife Donna who attends most of my talks and reflect on how my pre-talk preparation and the talk went. We discuss what worked well, what I can improve on to ensure not only the client receives a great product but I am looking after my own mental health & wellbeing.
- If I have no talks or urgent business commitments scheduled in the following day, I shall ensure that I get a 30-minute massage, meditate for 30-minutes at the beach or park and get some mindful exercise which usually involves taking a brisk walk along the beach using all my senses (sight, sound, touch, smell, taste). It’s all about mindfulness.
I have found for me personally, this process to be extremely beneficial and forms a holistic approach to my mental health and wellbeing.
What do you do to unwind after a taxing day at work or a week that has a busy schedule?
There is no right or wrong thing to do, every individual is different but it is taking the time out to find what works for you and reward yourself with this quality time to unwind.
Your body and mind will thank you for it!
More Blog Posts
- Brain Injured Moments
- Day Of My Incident
- Global Messsage
- Home Alone
- Mental Health & Wellbeing
- Michael Weston
- Post Incident
- Self Awareness
- Strategies & Coping Mechanisms
- Support Network
- The Funny Side
- Treatment & Rehabilitation